One of the main indicators of the success and effectiveness of your iron training is properly developed and powerful pectoral muscles. Every man wants to get an impressive muscle that stands out beautifully under a T-shirt. For many bodybuilders, it is the chest (and not any other muscle group) that is a kind of calling card.
With the study of the pectoral muscles usually begins any program, any training complex – both for experienced athletes and beginners. Therefore, the question of “how to build chest” always remains relevant and in demand. Let’s try to give a detailed and detailed answer to it.
How to build chest
A bit of anatomy
Consideration of the issue, as usual, begins with the anatomical foundations of the structure of the muscle group.
The muscles of the chest, despite the considerable area, consists of only two muscles – the large and small pectoral muscles. The first – occupies almost the entire surface of the sternum, the second – much smaller, and is located deeper, under the large pectoralis.
Both muscles perform the same functions: adduction and flexion of the arm in the shoulder joint, partially in rotation (rotation) of the arm inward.
Since the muscle group occupies a rather large surface and it is not possible to use all its fibers in one exercise, in bodybuilding the chest is conditionally divided into three parts – the bottom, top and middle. And if the middle is actively working in any exercise, then the bottom and – especially – the top require an accented load.
There are a considerable number of ways to qualitatively load the muscles of the chest. Their alternation allows you to constantly stimulate rapid growth, preventing the fibers from getting used to work and “stagnating”.
Even a person completely unfamiliar with bodybuilding probably knows that the bench press is the main exercise for the chest muscles. Performed in various variations, it allows you to quite qualitatively load muscle fibers, stimulating their growth.
We list the existing versions of the bench press and their characteristic differences:
- The bench press is one of the three foundations of “heavy” sport. This exercise is included in powerlifting competitions, and indicators of working weight in it are considered a key characteristic and indicator of athlete’s success. It can be performed in three versions:
- lying on a horizontal bench – primarily stimulates the middle and bottom of the chest;
- lying on a bench at an angle, head – at the bottom (designed for accented study of the lower chest);
- lying on a bench at an angle, head – at the top (designed for accented study of the upper – the most problematic – part of the chest).
- Dumbbell bench press – the most effective option. Its difference is that with dumbbells, you can lower your arms lower, while the bar rests against the sternum and restricts movement. The increased trajectory allows you to stretch and load the muscles as much as possible, therefore, the effectiveness of the exercise also increases. Like the barbell press, the version with dumbbells can be performed in the same three positions.
The “home” alternative to the bench press is push-ups. A movement familiar from childhood is the most effective way if you are interested in how to pump up your chest at home – without a bench and weight (barbells or dumbbells) this is the most relevant option. You can also perform them in three different positions:
- classical emphasis lying (palms and socks are on the same horizontal line);
- emphasis lying, palms above socks (we rest our palms not on the floor, but on a small hill – for example, on books placed next to it) – the emphasis of the load is shifted to the bottom of the chest;
- emphasis lying, socks above the palms (palms put on the floor, and socks – on a hill) – respectively, for the upper part.
- Since push-ups with your own weight is a fairly simple task, and with regular training you can quickly do more than a dozen repetitions, you can complicate the task. To do this, experiment with the width of the palms, push up on your fists, put weight on your back (for lack of a better bottle of water, put in the briefcase may come up), push up with cotton.
This exercise can be called a “street” option for working out the chest. However, bars are also available in the gym, so that push-ups can perfectly complement and diversify the training complex.
The effectiveness and benefit of the exercise is no less than that of the bench press – athletes involved in workout (street training) use it to obtain excellent results – so you should definitely do it even if you are in the gym. Due to the different grip width and tilt of the body during movement, it is possible to achieve a full study of all sections of the pectoral muscles.
Back push ups from the bench
Despite the fact that triceps and the anterior deltoid bundles play a key role in the exercise, the pectoral muscles also get a significant load.
There are not so many isolating exercises for the chest, and some athletes generally neglect their performance, believing that the “base” will sufficiently strain the muscles. Whether it is right or wrong, each should decide individually, based on their own training experience.
Dumbbell breeding / in the simulator
An exercise that allows you to qualitatively load the inside of the pectoral muscles, which is difficult to study. If your separation into two halves is not noticeable, be sure to dilute.
The movement allows you to expand the chest, stretching the fibers in a vertical plane.
Exercise accentuated loads the bottom and the inside of the pectoral muscles.
Important nuances and tips
Working weight. You should not chase this indicator in the bench press (and other exercises), unless you are a powerlifter. Bodybuilding is not a race for weights! For high-quality muscle growth, such a weight will be enough that you yourself lift 5-12 times per approach.
Training day. Performing exercises on the pectoral muscles sufficiently loads the triceps. For this reason, it is not recommended to train these muscle groups on the same day – this way you can increase the effectiveness of training.